Race for the Galaxy AI
This is a project to create artificial intelligence opponent(s) for the
card game Race for the Galaxy. Currently, the base game and all three
expansions are supported.
With the release of version 0.7.0, online multiplayer is supported. You
can see the results of completed games.
- 2012-10-22 -- The mirror holding the downloads appears to have
gone away. I have moved the files to Dropbox, let me know if you are
unable to access them.
- 2011-03-09 -- Version 0.8.1 released, with a bugfix for Alien
Toy Shop's consume power.
- 2011-03-08 -- Version 0.8.0 released, with some AI improvements
and minor bug fixes.
- 2010-09-11 -- Early copies of version 0.7.5 had a bad set of
images -- if you experienced crashes or corrupt action card images, try
downloading again. Sorry!
- 2010-09-11 -- Version 0.7.5 released, with many bug fixes and
some minor GUI improvements for clarity.
- 2010-08-21 -- Version 0.7.4 released, with many multiplayer
improvements and several minor bug fixes.
- 2010-08-12 -- Version 0.7.3 released, with a critical fix that
only affects multiplayer games (no need to upgrade from 0.7.2 if you only
play against the AI).
- 2010-08-12 -- Version 0.7.2 released, with several bug fixes
related to takeovers and Alien Oort Cloud Refinery.
- 2010-08-03 -- Version 0.7.1 (still beta) released, with many
bug fixes (including a very nasty one related to Galactic Scavengers).
- 2010-08-02 -- Version 0.7.0 (beta) released, with support for
The Brink of War expansion, and online multiplayer. There are several
known bugs in this release, but they should only occur with certain
combinations of cards and/or goals.
- 2010-01-06 -- Version 0.6.1 released, with a fix to the two-player
advanced game action selection GUI and a new military strength indicator.
- 2009-12-19 -- Version 0.6.0 released, with several AI improvements,
GUI changes, undo turn support, and load/save support.
- 2009-09-23 -- Version 0.5.4 released, to fix crashes when
changing game settings on some machines.
- 2009-09-16 -- Version 0.5.3 released, with several GUI improvements
and some minor bug fixes.
- 2009-09-03 -- Version 0.5.2 released immediately after 0.5.1,
to fix a crippling resize bug introduced in 0.5.1.
- 2009-09-03 -- Version 0.5.1 released, fixing several bugs, some
of them important especially to European users.
- 2009-09-03 -- Added links to a mirror site hosted by
"Chairman Kaga" from BoardGameGeek.
- 2009-09-02 -- First version (0.5.0) released.
The following package contains the source code, card images, and neural
networks. It should compile fairly easily on any Linux or other Unix-like
system. You will need the GTK libraries and headers, etc, to compile it.
The following is a Windows self-extractor that contains everything
needed to play.
Mac OS X
The following is a pre-compiled binary for Mac machines running OS X.
First, download and install
the GTK framework (first link below). Then download and run the RFTG binary
See the FAQ for some common gameplay questions and
- Rio Grande Games is the
publisher and holds all the copyrights for the images and card names.
They have graciously given permission for me to distribute these, though
they may not be redistributed or used for any other purpose.
- Tom Lehmann is the designer of Race for the Galaxy.
rules are available from Rio Grande Games.
- BoardGameGeek entry for
Race for the Galaxy
Some people have asked about donations. I am very grateful for the support!
If you have a PayPal account and would like to help support, you can send
funds to my account at "email@example.com". Thanks a lot!
Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
with questions, suggestions, or other comments.